Translate

Monday, February 16, 2015

the last of Isla de Pascua, Rapa Nui, Easter Island



We woke up the next morning EARLY. We had the scooter till 10:30 and we’d been told we had to see the sunrise at Tongariki so we went. On a nearly empty tank of gas.. Praying we’d make it out there! We did, we waited around in the dark for the sun to grace us with its presence. It did, not with so many miraculous colors as we’d expected, but still seeing the light shine up from behind and create silhouettes of the 15 Moai was pretty incredible. I decided to draw, and most people left. That’s when the sky and statues decided to shine their brightest and I was so glad we’d stayed! Somehow, the bike made it back to the only gas station on the island. 



hello sunshine


Back in town we decided to walk along the coast, the tourist information told us that across from two islands way out in the distance we would find a cave but he said we’d need a guide to find it. We’re pretty confident in our abilities and after about an hour walking along the coast we came to the first of the two caves. The entrance hole was really not that small, and definitely not hard to find. After walking inside for just a minute or two we came to the “two windows” or two openings that opened up right onto the sea and rocks and sun. The views from both were fantastic. 

cave entrance




We walked on to the next cave; it took nearly an hour more. This cave wasn’t very big and not too interesting, it was fun though. We had to crawl for a while, so thankful to have my headlamp!

second cave entrance


The walk back I started to itch really badly. We were walking through weeds and my legs began to rash and it was awful!! I hurried back to get water on my legs as quick as possible.
That night Elias requested we eat dinner together so we did and we watched a movie called Rapa Nui. We thought it would be a boring documentary but we were mistaken! It was really intense with war, slavery, stabbings, cannibalism, etc. It’s pretty eye opening if it’s based on fact. Sheds a new light on the idea that maybe the people who created the statues hadn’t actually wanted to, maybe they were forced and a rebellion brought the fall of many of the Moai. I’m glad they escaped servitude but I do wish I could see more of the Moai’s strong faces. 


We took the next day a bit easier, we still walked alot, but we spent some time at the beach in town, signed up for a scuba dive the following day, visited a couple tattoo shops, and did all the tourist shopping for our families! In the evening we walked back out to the cave of the two windows to watch the sunset. We had to wait a little bit but it was more than worth it. The colors changing across the sky and playing onto the sea were a beautiful sight as we sat in the cave high above the water watching it all take place.




 
Absolutely Stunning!!
After the sunset we went back into town and watched more dancing and singing at the Tapati. Walking home we were exhausted, our feet barely moved but that long walk home was also incredible because of the stars overhead. More stars than I have ever seen, we looked in awe every few moments while we trudged home.


Our last full day on the island began with us heading to the dive shop to do a discovery scuba. After filling out their health questionnaire, Tyler told them he has asthma (even though its sports induced and never arises) and they told him he couldn't dive. So I did it alone.




Tyler was bummed but then excited because he got to watch a sea turtle!




The dive was incredible! I have never scuba dived before, only snorkeled and I had a little trouble getting the breathing down at first but after a minute and my instructor telling me to breathe like in yoga, I got it and we went about 10 meters underwater. I saw so many beautiful fish! Some so colorful they looked like a rainbow and some so ugly they made me laugh, I saw a fish that looked like a sword, it was long and thin and silvery. I saw a couple schools of fish as well. By the time it was over I was hooked! I can't wait to do my PADI and spend more time under the water in that incredible world.
The afternoon was boring, we did laundry, hung it to dry, did more laundry and hung that to dry. Elias wanted us to eat dinner together so we did and then watched Battleship where i immediately fell asleep.

Our last day was the 11th. Tattoo and plane day. We went to the tattoo parlor called Mokomae with the only Rapa Nui tattoo artist on the island. I went first, two days prior I had found the design that I was in love with and ready to get. 


Very happy with my Rapa Nui design!

Then it was Tyler's turn. He's been wanting a shoulder piece and found a few in the books that he had the artist mesh together.




 Back at the house we packed up all our gear, said goodbye to Elias, and walked about an hour to the airport. We were sad to say goodbye to Rapa Nui! We had a fantastic time :) Iorana.





No comments:

Post a Comment