Translate

Thursday, March 6, 2014

First town in Cambodia

     After spending quite a few nights in a little town in Cambodia called Kratie, I moved on to Siem Reap. But before I get into the sunrises and the temples, I'll explain the allure of Kratie and why I stayed longer than I'd planned.

little something crazy I saw in Kratie
     Kratie is a wonderful little town and the first one I arrived in when getting to Cambodia. It has a great small town vibe and few tourists. The sunsets? Incredible. Kratie's major pull though is to see the Irrawaddy dolphins that are nearly extinct. For a few dollars you can get a ticket and get on a boat that takes you out on the river to be amongst these rare graceful fish. They look different from a typical dolphin; with a more rounded face and not as long of a nose making them look more like small whales. The experience was great and the best time to go is early in the morning or just around sunset.
Boat to see the dolphins
     There is also a great place just further on called the Kampi Rapids that I went to twice, once by bike(which was too far from town and I do not reccomend!) and once by motorbike which was much nicer. Anyways, once you've arrived you pay 500 riel (less than a quarter) for an entrance ticket and then you scope out the perfect hammock under the huts on the water to find your perfect spot. Once you've paid for your hammock you're free to take a dip in the fast paced current. If you don't hold on to the side of the hut though it's possible you'll drift away! It is a nice place to chill and there is food available when you start to feel peckish.
     From town, there are nearly constant ferries that cross to Koh Trong island and the cost is 1,000 riel, or a quarter, each way. The island is quite nice to walk or bike around. It's made up of small huts and plenty of greenery as well as a floating island on the other side. I spent an afternoon walking around and saying hello to all the little kids who greeted me with massive smiles.
     One things you have to try in town is their specialty of sticky rice that is sold inside a piece of bamboo, its mixed with coconut milk and a few beans. It doesn't have too much flavor but it is quite nice and it's something they eat alot. You peel down the sides little by little to continue eating the goodness inside.
Sticky rice in bamboo
      Besides a giant local market, that's about all there is to do in Kratie, and yet I loved it there. It has a slower pace, and many less westerners, and I found myself pulled to the sunset every evening and up to the roof of my hostel The Silver Dolphin to stargaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment